Well, it’s happening.
To quote John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd: “We’re getting the band back together.”
Maybe you didn’t even know we’d gone away. It’s not been that long. We went on hiatus last year and we’ve not been in the same room since (though various band configurations have met severally), we didn’t fall out or anything like that, we always knew we’d do something else together, we just needed a break. I wrote an explanation here if you’re interested.
Now it’s official though, The Bedlam Six are returning.
But we’re not going to be fiddling about with radio and press anymore. If we get any outside attention then it’ll be through accident and word of mouth; I for one am done with caring about buzz and reach. That way madness lies. No more second guessing what so-and-so from Whatever FM might enjoy, no more gimmicky press angles to whet the appetites of the chronically jaded. We will accept the gigs that look fun and create the records that make sense (or nonsense) for the time/place/headspace we happen to find ourselves in. If we desperately want to get on the telly we’ll audition for that game show Philip Schofield presents where everyone gets hypnotized and made to say things like “bum” – it’s no more debasing than many of the things musicians do to get noticed.
So here’s what to expect…
- A handful of new (but probably quite simple) music videos to accompany some of the remaining tracks on 2014’s YOUTH album. I always wanted there to be more visuals to accompany that record but time/budgets/energy/friends ran out.
- A few festivals and one-off Summer shows in England, Belgium and Germany. Not very many, we’re hardly a hot ticket right now and we don’t accept offers of “good exposure” so that immediately puts us on a lot of festival blacklists!
- A new studio album by the end of the year. This will mostly feature songs you’ve already heard if you’ve been to any of our shows but we’d all like to get proper studio versions of live favourites like “Mary”, “Matilda & The Screw” etc, so this record will be a sort of exercise in loose-end tying. There will also be some completely brand new material though so it won’t all be old news.
- Web gigs. Let’s face it, if the USA visa situation doesn’t change we’re never going to get over there so we might as well face the facts and come up with an alternative for our transatlantic friends. We’ve been meaning to try the web gig option for a while but we didn’t want to do it half-cocked. We’ll do our best to make these interesting, fun and semi-regular.
- As always we’re open to other ideas so feel free to get in touch.
READY FOR BEDLAM?
Steven Handley says
May I recommend the Holmfirth Picturedrome as a fine upstanding small venue for a Louis & Bedlam 6 gig. Plus it’s 10 minutes from my house. X
Yesterday I was thinking about how gutted I was not to be able to see you guys play live again, then I saw a link to this via social media, I can’t tell you how happy I am, brilliant news :)
Well, if you can’t get to the US, come to Australia! Melbourne, preferably! :) We’d absolutely **love** to see you – we’d even spread the word around amongst our friends for you – just ask Julian ;)
Australia is just as difficult to tour as USA officially (and twice as expensive!), I did a little solo tour in 2013, think that’s probably the most likely scenario again I’m afraid. Loved Melbourne!
Adam byrne says
lads are you coming back to Ireland at all this year been to long! PS do you guys have anything on vinyl would be a dream to get your album on vinyl
Would love to.
We have two releases on vinyl: a 10″ EP from 2012 called Memoir Noir and a 12″ LP from 2014 called Youth. Both are available from http://bedlamsix.bandcamp.com
Theodore Gresler III says
I am beyond ecstatic in reference to this news I’m one of your U.S. fans (unfortunately given the limitations) and am enamored with everything I’ve heard out of you guys in the past. Completely irrelevant but I wish I had your voice haha thank you and all the bedlam six for your enticing brand of music!
Thanks for the kind words Theodore, that’s very encouraging!